How do I Make a claim?
What to do in the event of an accident
If there is an accident there are a number of obligations if one of the following occurs:
- Injury is caused to any person apart from yourself
- Damage is caused to someone else's vehicle or property
- An animal is killed or injured (e.g a horse, cattle, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog)
If you are involved in an accident then you must:
- Stop at the scene for a reasonable period
- Give the following details to anyone who has reasonable grounds to ask:
If there is an injury or you do not give your details to anyone at the scene, you must report the incident to the police within 24 hours and present your certificate of motor insurance to them within five days
- Vehicle's registration number
- Your name and address
- If different to you, the name & address of the registered owner
If you do not comply with the above then the accident must be reported to the police within 24 hours.
You should also comply with the above even if you were not directly involved in the accident but the presence of your vehicle on the road may have been a factor in the accident.
A quick and painless Claims Service
If you ever need to make a claim we will be on hand with our round the clock dedicated claims hotline, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To report your claim and get advice, simply call the American Express Claims Management line on 0845 373 0012 whatever time or day it is, and we'll take care of it.